CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: C++ IDE Query

C++ IDE Query

Hello Everyone,

nowadays I am learning Cpp. and I am confused between C++ ideas like Code Blocks, Dev C++, Visual Studio Code.I Have Searched this on the Internet and found many of the sites listed many of the IDEs. I am very confused as to which one to choose. Can anyone suggest to me which one is good?

Re: C++ IDE Query

An IDE is not the C++ language.
    An IDE is not a particular C++ compiler.

An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is just the whole package of editor + compiler + debugger + help + more into a one stop shop that allows you to do all of your programming without ever leaving the application.

It's also perfectly possible to do all your programming with notepad and a command line.

If you're learning C++, then the only thing that really matters to you is the C++ compiler in the middle of it.

Personally, I would suggest you get both Code Blocks(C::B) and Visual Studio Code(VSC).
    So when you've finished testing your code in say C::B, you can then copy/paste the code into VSC and make sure it still does what you intended.

Whilst there is a standard for C++ that all compilers are supposed to follow, they all have their own bonus features that won't work on other C++ compilers.
    By compiling your code with multiple compilers, it keeps your code honest - and you informed.

It's even so that some IDE:s allow you to use more than one C++ compiler. For example, VS 2019 supports the use of both the Microsoft and the Clang C++ compilers.
    Last edited by wolle; March 3rd, 2021 at 03:33 AM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by salem_c View Post
    It's also perfectly possible to do all your programming with notepad and a command line.
    While this is technically true, learning this way leaves the programmer with a deficit (imo) - that is, with notepad a programmer can't learn the all too important skill of debugging. Understanding the ide, how to set breakpoints, step through code, inspect variables, etc. is critical in becoming a competent programmer.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Another important consideration is debugging. Visual Studio features an integrated debugger (and a truly excellent one) whereas Code::Blocks needs to defer to an external debugger and the last time I tried it (admittedly about 8 years ago) it was terribly awkward and sluggish. Also... give consideration to whether you'll want to develop code for multiple platforms or for Windows only. Code::Blocks is multi-platform and can be used with gcc (which is also multi-platform). But Visual Studio has only just started to support C++ compilation for Linux - and AFAIK it has no support at all yet for MacOS.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    While this is technically true, learning this way leaves the programmer with a deficit (imo) - that is, with notepad a programmer can't learn the all too important skill of debugging. Understanding the ide, how to set breakpoints, step through code, inspect variables, etc. is critical in becoming a competent programmer.

In my view, it can be a good thing to first go through the process of learning how to use the different individual tools involved in program development. Then when you start using an IDE you are in a much better position to understand how it works and also to appreciate how much easier everything becomes.