I have retired and now want to invest time into tracking crypto currencies. This task requires the user to sign up to one of several sources to get trading information. The first question to decide is what language to use.

Several sites provide a public API that may be used to download statistics about multiple crypto currencies. The few examples I find are calls to add functionality to a Java or Javascript app.
I can write C/C++ but have never written any apps to converse via TCP/IP. I have never written any Java.

The ultimate goal is to capture the data in a CSV format. Once there, I can import into Excel and/or write more code to display the results. I want to display the data over time periods of a day, week, and month. I “suspect” I want to run the numbers through a Fourier transform and look at the predominate frequencies and see if they tell me anything useful. It might help in determining when the price trend will shift between going up and down.

My last task at work was to create a strip chart and frequency spectrum, but they run on Linux, in C++ and use `old versions of Qt and Open GL. The new project will be exclusively on Windows. I found some stuff about doing Fourier transforms within Excel, but have not investigated further.
My current reading indicates this might be best done in Java. Which do you think would be better?
Any thoughts?
Is anyone interested is collaborating on a project such as this?