CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

First Java app, REST

Windows 10. Java version is unknown. This is my first attempt at Java.

The goal is to write an app that fetches crypto statistics from a web site. The end result will provide the user with the ability to capture data from crypto currency A, from time B to time C, and put the results in a CSV file. From there import into MS Excel or draw a custom strip chart display. Probably use Qt for user controls and OpenGL to draw the strip chart.

My readings indicate, maybe, a Java based REST app is best. I have Visual Studio 2019 and C++ experience but this is my first Java attempt.

Start VS and managed to create a starter app. Probably selected the wrong model, but could not find any advice. The starter app builds. When run it opens a large blank dialog with the words “Content goes here!” in the upper left.

That text is not in the app but is in something VS calls: DOM Explorer – index.html

I don’t know what that is. So I go to file main.js and add a few lines of the format:
    System.out.println("In section isFirstActivation");

But, every one of them throws an exception because ‘System is not defined.’ Googled for a way to include System and did not recognize a usable answer.

So, here is what I think I need:
    A tutorial for using Java in Visual Studio.
    Or, a redirect down a new path.
    Or, something else.

To repeat, the goal is to fetch crypto trading statistics from a web site and save in a file. There are a couple of sites that provide just that.

Edit: A search on the phrase: books for “java with visual studio” returns several books, but none of them specifically state that they cover Java within the Visual Studio environment. Here are a couple of possible titles. These all have Kindle versions. I want to avoid struggling with propping a book up to a page while typing.
    If you know that one of them is appropriate, or of a preferred book, please advise.

Getting Started with visual Studio 1029, author: Dirk Strauss
    Programming Basics: Using Microsoft Visual Basic, C++, HTML, and Java, authors:Turner, Barksdale, Knowlton
    Visual Studio 2019 Tricks and Techniques, A developer’s guide to writing better code and maximizing productivity, authors: Schroeder, Cure, Price
    Visual Studio 2019 In Depth: …, author Preez

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by bkelly13; March 31st, 2021 at 08:14 PM.

Re: First Java app, REST

Are you locked in to using VS? Many java programmers use either Eclipse or Netbeans for java programming.
    I use an enhanced editor with some commandline tools for compiling and executing.
    It is recommended that raw beginners start learning java using a simple editor and the command line. Leaning how an IDE works at the same time as learning java programming can make things more complicated.
    Norm

I have several years experience with VS, but am not locked in with it.
    How well does Java work with Qt and Open GL?

The final product will draw a strip chart and I have used those to to handle the user controls and the display. That was done with C++. I am not locked in with either of those, but they both performed well.

I have never worked with those products and know nothing about them.
    Norm

Qt is a GUI utility. It it OOP and has about every user interface tool that can be imagined. It is a C++ type product. OpenGl is a graphics utility. The user creates a model and the utility does the display part. The view perspective may be rotated and zoomed. From what little I have used, it is quite good.

Re: Leaning how an IDE works at the same time as learning java programming can make things more complicated.

I will look at NetBeans. However, the first thing discovered is that its an IDE. There appears to be no native interface to Qt but there are some sites that present GUI building with NetBeans.

Very little of my java code has much GUI. Mostly it is file contents manipulations.
    I can't recommend an IDE as I don't use one much, except Eclipse with Android.
    Norm