CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hybrid View

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

[RESOLVED] Where do a project's filters get saved ?

Here's a screenshot showing a typical VC project:-

Name:  Capture-20.png
Views: 597
Size:  32.6 KB

Notice that the various .cpp files are arranged into folders (called 'Filters') with each of them containing one or more .cpp files- BUT....

If I open some other VS solution and load up that particular project, all the various filters get forgotten - i.e. all my .cpp files end up in a long line, with all the filter folders gone. Is there any way to retain the filters when moving a project from one sln file to another?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Where do a project's filters get saved ?

When you load the original solution back into vs, does it load correctly?

As far as filters, I've used vs since 1995 and have never heard of them. I create solution and project folders and organize the projects and files into those and the hierarchy is retained when the project is reloaded.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Where do a project's filters get saved ?

Yes - if I load the original solution, the structure gets remembered and everything comes back intact - but if I load the project into some other solution, it all disappears and I just get a long list with my header files, source files etc all jumbled up together. This is with VS2019 by the way (the free version).

In earlier versions of Visual Studio, I've a feeling that the filter stuff was only available in paid-for versions so maybe that's the problem... this might be only happening in the free version?

[Edit...] Oops, silly me!! I just took a closer look and realised that as well as the .vcxproj file, each project has another file with the extension .vcxproj.filters
    Last edited by John E; August 16th, 2021 at 01:59 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering