CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Stopping unnecessary style corrections

A project I'm involved in has a style of inserting spaces for better visibility - like this:-

Code:
    int SomeFunc ( int whatever );
    but if I make any change to an existing line, VS2019 has an annoying habit of correcting to what it thinks is the 'proper' style - i.e.

Code:
    int SomeFunc(int whatever);
    Is there a setting somewhere that'll turn this off?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Stopping unnecessary style corrections

Try looking at these VS configuration options:

Tools/Options/Text Editor/c c++/Code Style/Formatting/Spacing/spacing for function parameters
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    VS2019 has an annoying habit of correcting to what it thinks is the 'proper' style
    Generally, I find VS 2019 a little too complex and invasive for my taste so I've contemplated switching to VS Code for quite some time.

But now I see VS 2022 is on the brink of being released and I wouldn't want to miss that! There's a preview available already,

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visua...now-available/

Thanks 2kaud - I just seem to have 1 weird style thing renaming which I can't seem to track down - i.e. it's removing spaces if they're preceded by a comma. So something like this:-

Code:
    void Hello (int i, bool b, unsigned u);
    will keep getting converted to this:-

Code:
    void Hello (int i,bool b,unsigned u);
    Any idea what I'd need to change in order to disable that?

Tools/Options/Text Editor/c c++/Code Style/Formatting/Spacing/spacing for delimiters

Same config page as before - just further down. Has options for space before/after coma etc.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Thanks 2kaud - interestingly, my options were all disabled here. So I've just toggled them on and then off again.

You need the option 'insert space after comma' set. If that was disabled, that's why you had no space!

Thanks 2kaud. I corrected that and I also discovered another setting at Tools/Options/Text Editor/C C++/Code Style/Formatting/When I paste. It was initially set to Indent and format

But when I'm editing someone else’s code I tend to copy & paste it first (so that I can easily get back to the original code if I screw something up...) So it’s probably the copy & paste operation that’s been introducing a lot of the formatting problems here.

The code style formatting gives you enough options to hang yourself!