CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Problem with vb6 ide installation

I have worked around this problem for years it seems. As the result of installing VB6 Development on my W10 PC I almost always get this error when opening a project. If I immediately SAVE the project, or even try opening it again, most times it will open without the error. I am wondering if anyone out there knows how to get rid of the problem. I dare not try to re-install VB6 DEV again as it may never work again on my machine (which would be the death of me).

Appreciate any ideas please
    Name:  vb6 error.JPG
Views: 1550
Size:  36.4 KB

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Problem with vb6 ide installation

Doesn't Google help you?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Never expected a solution there, but it seems I am not the first person with this problem.
    I have tried a couple of suggestions and hopefully they will solve the problem
    Thanks

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by George1111 View Post
    Never expected a solution there, but it seems I am not the first person with this problem.
    I have tried a couple of suggestions and hopefully they will solve the problem
    Thanks
    Your expectation seems to be not good.
    The first "action" I use when I get some unknown for me error message is Google search for the error message. In 99% cases I get the error reason from the first three to five threads of the google search!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Well, the problem went away for a while, then it has returned today.
    Google has about 20 variations as to what causes the problem - I was hoping someone may have resolved the problem with some obscure registry problem, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    As I said - I am not willing to re-install as this may screw things up. (I had real issues trying to get VB6 with SP6 to run on W10 - but finally got it to work except for this minor nagging problem that comes and goes)
    I'll just have to carry this cross on my back until I stop using Vb6 - which may be a long long time.

Thanks for your interest

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

You might try asking this question on the VB forums site. They have a very active VB6 forum.

https://www.vbforums.com/forumdispla...-6-and-Earlier
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks 2kaud - I found what I hope to find
    Apparently the message pops up mainly in VB6/Windows 10/64 bit installations (which is mine)
    The fix is a bit rough but apparently it works
    Simply rename a file in the VB98 folder and the problem goes away (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\DATAVIEW.DLL)
    See ...
    Attachment 36015
    Last edited by George1111; September 15th, 2021 at 08:58 AM.

Its a bit like living with an allergy - After a while you just accept it and carry on.
    None of the special tricks seem to have worked and I am still getting the pop-up message

Its never hurt I believe

Click on OK and carry on ...

The first question is if you're trying to install VB6 outside of the default installation directory for Microsoft products (C:\Program Files{x86} or C:\Program Files). If this is the case, then you may want to read up on how to change where Windows defaults installation folders. Otherwise, there should be no issues installing VB6 outside of these folders.

If it's not and there still seems to be an issue with installing VB6 even in the default location, then try uninstalling everything and reinstalling it from scratch. Make sure that all DirectX components are uninstalled as well before starting over. If this doesn't work and nothing else comes to mind, contact Microsoft Customer Service.

VB6 is no longer supported so calling Microsoft is probably out of the question.
    The problem is to do with the initial installation - All defaults are taken, using disks that worked perfectly on Windows 7, 32 bit.
    I have installed on W10, 64 bit and if I recall, had several attempts at installing VB6 + VB6 SP6
    I finally have "a version" of VB6 which has been running for a few years now, with a few probelms (but still works)
    1) The popup message as explained above
    2) Sluggisg IDE - particularly when trying toi move a few controls - You highlight the first control, but when clicking on other controls they do not highlight, so until you move them (as a block) you really are not sure when is going to move.
    I live and understand that now but its not right - just live with it.
    3) I am terrified of uninstalling VB6 as it was an enormous effort to get to where I am now

What may help me is if someone has registry entries of how a good VB6 looks like on a W10, 64 bit installation

What do you think ? (Thanks for your interest)