CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Java Generics : How to pass object having generic type to another class?

I prepared a code using Java Generics to gain flexibility. I had one class named ImagePanel<T> extends Node<T> class that is also extends Panel (java.awt.Panel) class. The other class is PanelManager manages ImagePanel<T> class objects. I define both classes in the same file (GUI.java file - GUI class).
    However, compiler gives this error :

"Note: spritesGUI/SpritesWindow.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations.Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details."

The structure is :

Code:
    class GUI {

class ImagePanel<T> extends Node<T> { ...   }
      class PanelManager { ... public void ImagePanel getSleectedImagePanel(); }

}
    As you see, I have "getSleectedImagePanel()" method which returns ImagePanel. I do not know how to transfer generic type T to PanelManager? Any help is appreciated.

Re: Java Generics : How to pass object having generic type to another class?

Sorry, "getSleectedImagePanel()" will be "getSelectedImagePanel()" I could not find where to edit my post...

Cool Re: Java Generics : How to pass object having generic type to another class?

I found the solution :
    I used as it is written :
    class GUI {

class ImagePanel<T> extends Node<T> { ... }
    class PanelManager { ... public void ImagePanel<T> getSleectedImagePanel(); }

}

I also need to declare PanelManager with generic type like that PanelManager<T> and then I replaced all ImagePanel objects with ImagePanel<T>.

However, I need to compile with "-Xlint:unchecked" option. In other words, for finding unckecked type conversions, I used
    javac -Xlint:unchecked GUI.java

then it reports all errors/warnings etc. And one by one, I cleared all of them... Solved...