CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

DWORD size in VS

in visual studio when moving mouse over a DWORD variable, it shows 5 bytes. I expected to see 4 bytes. Not sure why i see extra byte there?. sizeof(DWORD) shows 4 bytes. this happens in x64 , do not remember if looked at it in 32 bit mode as well?.

Re: DWORD size in VS

Quote Originally Posted by @EE@ View Post
    a DWORD variable, it shows 5 bytes
    Maybe the variable is a DWORD array. In that case, the 5 you see could denote the array size (rather than the DWORD size.)

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by @EE@ View Post
    in visual studio when moving mouse over a DWORD variable, it shows 5 bytes. I expected to see 4 bytes. Not sure why i see extra byte there?. sizeof(DWORD) shows 4 bytes. this happens in x64 , do not remember if looked at it in 32 bit mode as well?.
    Where do you see the DWOORD size?
    Attachment 36057
    Attachment 36058
    I don't see any size info here. VS 2022 17.2.6. It is shown the same info for both x86 and x64
    Victor Nijegorodov

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

DWORD is unsigned 32-bit - irrespective of 32/64 bit. When you hover the mouse over a DWORD type, intellisense shows a typedef (as per Victor's 36058 above).

If you're seeing a number when hovering over a variable, then that is an array and you're seeing the array size.

Post your code so that we can see what's going on.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

DWORD dw;
    dw = CalcAvgOfArray(...)
    when I move mouse over the dw in debug mode i see dw like 3465238465. this is 5 bytes not 4 bytes.
    cout << sizeof(DWORD); shows 4.
    can't open Victor's attachments.
    Last edited by @EE@; August 21st, 2022 at 09:31 PM.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

3465238465 is 0xCE8B57C1 which is 4 bytes - 32 bits!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

missed that.
    thanks.