CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: ForEach error

Question ForEach error

Hello everyone, I finally bought a C++ For Dummies book and can't be any happier learning from it, I've followed the books directions as it instructed and fell into a bit of trouble. Normally I trust the author corrects their own misspellings/mistakes and (usually) over look little problems up until this one.

Code:
    /*   ForEachDemo -  C++ includes a form of the "for each"
                        which iterates through each member of
                        a list
    */
    #include <limits> 
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

int main(int nNumberofArgs, char* pszArgs[])
    {
        cout << "The primes less than 20 are:" << endl;
        for(int n : {1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19} )
            {
                cout << n << ", ";
            }
        cout << endl;

// wait until user is ready before terminating program
        // to allow the user to see the program results
        cout << "Press Enter to continue..." << endl;
        cin.ignore(std::numeric_limits<streamsize>::max(),'\n'); // This snippet was cut/pasted from another forum 
                                                                                                             // The original cin.ignore(10,'\n\'); <-- looked like this
        cin.get();
        return 0;
    }
    This function is meant to loop the list inside the for loop until it is complete then terminates. The error I get follows,,,

error: deducing from brace-enclosed initializer list requires '#include <initializer_list>'
    So I added #include <initializer_list> at the top and got another error. When I compiled this code in Linux using g++ i had no trouble. The book asks me to use Code::Blocks and I'm using the latest compiler, so I checked the settings and I prefered c++17 over c++11 (which makes sense, no?). This is a Developers refresh for me so I'm starting all over hoping to be a experienced coder.

P.S. Like I said, i compiled this in Linux so I'm looking @ Code::Blocks as to what I'm _not_ doing correctly, help!

Thanks

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: ForEach error

For Windows MS VS2022, this compiles OK:

Code:
    #include <limits>
    #include <iostream>

int main() {
    	std::cout << "The primes less than 20 are:\n";

for (int n : {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19})
    		std::cout << n << ", ";

std::cout << '\n';

std::cout << "Press Enter to continue...";
    	std::cin.ignore(std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '\n');
    	std::cin.get();
    }
    I don't use LInux or Code::Blocks so can't comment/help with those. Sorry.

NB. 1 is not a prime!

Also note that Code::Blocks is just an IDE. By itself it's not a compiler. One has to be used with Code::Blocks. Which one/version are you using with it?

Code::Blocks supports gcc so as you already have gcc, you should be able to integrate that with Code::Blocks.

Compiler:
    Multiple compiler support:
    GCC (MingW / GNU GCC)
    MSVC++
    clang
    Digital Mars
    Borland C++ 5.5
    Open Watcom
    …and more
    I prefered c++17 over c++11
    The current version of C++ is C++20. For C++20, gcc needs at least v11. The latest version is v13. The version of C++ changes every 3 years. The next version is C++23 which is now feature-complete and will be officially released later in the year. See:
    https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support
    Last edited by 2kaud; September 3rd, 2022 at 05:38 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: ForEach error

Which one/version are you using with it?
    Right now I'm using Code::Blocks 20.03 the latest version to revamp my coding skills. The very IDE the book suggested to use for most operating systems. The error I got suggested me to enable the -std=c++17 flag in the compiler settings. So once I did that the error went away and I was able to compile it. It's a lesson to take the time to read the warnings/errors to understand and debug your own code.