CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

creation of simple tree like structure using stl vector c++, need help : )

hello everybody

i would like to create a tree like structure in c++. since the number of children per node is arbitrary i would like to use stl vector for tree creation.

tree should look something like this:

https://i.postimg.cc/8zzT6jvJ/Diagram1.png

also

each node should contain some data, including one stl vector.

at the end i would like to be able to "merge" hierarchically in one large vector - something like this:

K-vector + I-vector + F-vector + B-vector + A-vector

thank you very much for your interest

VictorN is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: creation of simple tree like structure using stl vector c++, need help : )

Interesting structure! Do it!

And, please, next time attach your image:
    Attachment 36055
    to your post!
    Victor Nijegorodov

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

This is a multi-node or general tree. There's various implementations/info about this on the Internet. Eg:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/generi...der-traversal/
    https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...-Multi-node-Da

and loads of others...

[Also asked here https://cplusplus.com/forum/general/284864/ ]
    Last edited by 2kaud; September 25th, 2022 at 03:57 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by vlnikolic View Post
    i would like to create a tree like structure in c++. since the number of children per node is arbitrary i would like to use stl vector for tree creation.
    You could start from an implementation of a binary tree. There are plenty available on the internet and in textbooks.

In the node declaration, replace the left and right child node pointers with a std::vector of the same pointer type. Then modify the code to use the 0'th and 1'st vector index positions for the left and right pointers, respectively. When this works, you can easily generalize the code to handle an arbitrary number of child pointers in each node by looping over the vector.

As the last step, if the pointers are low-level, I suggest you replace them with smart pointers. That is std::unique_ptr or std::shared_ptr. In this way, you need not worry about memory leaks from not having deleted discarded node objects properly.
    Last edited by wolle; September 26th, 2022 at 02:40 AM.

Really, the more important question is when inserting data into the tree, what is the criteria for creating a new node - or to traverse existing nodes for insertion?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

That's the OP question - which has been answered above. What further info are you after?

each node should contain some data, including one stl vector.

at the end i would like to be able to "merge" hierarchically in one large vector - something like this:

K-vector + I-vector + F-vector + B-vector + A-vector tech guides get-mobdrovip.com