CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Displaying .bmp images in a window

Hello,

My name is Mick and this is my first ever post on this forum. I have written several working C++ applications over the years using Borland and now MS Visual Studio, such as a Hex Editor, a Bitmap Creator, a coded Password Manager and a few others so, although I'm no expert, I'm not completely green.

I have been having a problem understanding why I could not seem to display my own photos (saved in ?.bmp? format), into the ChildView window provided by MS Visual Studio.

When displaying a photo as a named resource, I have no problem, the selected picture is displayed in the window, right way up.

However, my aim here is to display random pictures selected using CFileDialog. I looked online about CBitmap::LoadImage() and found that, rather than using a fixed resource approach, which was limiting, I could replace the resID with a file path string to access the file directly, using the code below:

void CChildView::OnPaint()
    {
    CPaintDC dc(this);

CBitmap cbm;
    cbm.LoadBitmap(?<path>?);

CDC memdc;
    memdc.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc);

Bitmap* pOldBitmap = memdc.SelectObject(&cbm);

dc.StretchBlt(0, 0, 800, 600, &memdc, 0, 0, m_pBMIH->biWidth, m_pBMIH->biHeight, SRCCOPY);

memdc.SelectObject(pOldBitmap);
    }

This produced nothing in the window. I then tried most of the other methods like cbm.CreateBitmap(), cbm.CreateBitmapIndirect(), cbm.CreateCompatibleBitmap(), cbm.GetBitmap() and cbm.GetBitmapBits(), all to no avail, just a blank window.

I started fault testing to make sure correct values were present in the bitmaps used in these functions and found them to be OK. It was when I tested the memDC value that I found where the fault lay. The memDC was being set to 0.

Looking in the Microsoft MFC help files, I found that if the memDC is not identical to the CPaint:c, it will be set to 0.

Looking at my photo, which was originally a '.jpg', but converted in Paint to a '.bmp' for the purpose of application testing, I found this to be in 24 bit colour format. The value returned from dc:GetDeviceCaps(BITSPIXEL) was 32 bit format.

I wrote a bit of code to convert my 24 bit photo into 32 bit format. When I executed my application again, lo and behold, there was my photo in the window, although upside down. I amended my code to display the lines top down and finally had my picture!

However, I cannot believe this can be the right way to go, it seems so convoluted, not to mention the fact that it took around 1 full minute to do the conversion from 24 bit to 32 bit (4000x3000px), not user friendly at all. I could find no way to alter the Device Context (BITSPIXEL) to 24 bit to suit my photo.

If a resource based photo can be displayed in the correct orientation instantly, why have I had to use all these 'get-arounds'? Can anybody tell me what I'm missing here? The resource compiler seems to have no problem with differing Bit Counts and non-identical DCs using the resource based method, why do I seem to have them in a non-resource method?

Thanks for listening.

Mick

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Displaying .bmp images in a window

The first thing you have to perform is tu replace the call of LoadBitmap with LoadImage
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thank you Victor, that worked a treat, never knew there was a ::LoadImage in Win32. Unfortunately, dc.StretchBlt( ) doesn't do a particularly good job reducing from 4000x3000 to 800x600, lots of colour artifacts. Much better when I use my Affinity 2 to convert the .jpg image size to 800x600 before saving it as a .bmp, then using dc.BitBlt( ). Well, now that's sorted I can move on to learning about CImage. Thanks again

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

You are welcome!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Instead of manually converting the bitmap, have you considered using the Windows Imaging Component (WIC) or GDI+? These APIs can handle various image formats and color depths more efficiently.

For example, with GDI+, you could use the Gdiplus::Bitmap class to load your image directly:

HTML Code:
    Gdiplus::Bitmap* bitmap = new Gdiplus::Bitmap(L"path/to/your/image.bmp");
    Gdiplus::Graphics graphics(dc.GetSafeHdc());
    graphics.DrawImage(bitmap, 0, 0, 800, 600);
    delete bitmap;
    This approach should handle the color depth conversion and orientation automatically, and it's generally faster than manual conversion.