CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Problem when using 'Re[ly with quote'

Can also confirm the same problem with IE11 on a Windows 10 system. Again FireFox is OK.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I've just tested with IE11 with security update kb3197655.
    The result is the same.
    However, Google Chrome works good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Victor Nijegorodov

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

I have an old version of XP here which still uses IE6. Believe it or not, IE6 is totally unusable with CodeGuru. If I attempt to reply (either with a quote or without one) the text box where I'd usually expect to type is completely empty and greyed out. I can't type any text at all (it's the same for both Quick Reply and Advanced Reply). In Advanced Reply I can type something into the title bar - but not into the main body of text.

Interestingly I can't reproduce the problem with Safari this morning although I'm sure it didn't work a few days ago.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Believe it or not, IE6 is totally unusable with CodeGuru
    IE6 is now totally unusable with many, many web sites - as it doesn't support the current standards being used!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

I must admit, I don't use IE6 very often (or Windows XP, for that matter). I just checked on Wikipedia and realised they're both 15 years old now !!!

Re: Problem when using 'Reply with quote'

Go To SETTINGS-> General Settings-> Message Editor Interface. What is it set to?

(edit to add - minus sign -)

Try using the BASIC option to see if that makes a difference.

Win 10 and Edge work OK.
    Last edited by Steve R Jones; December 11th, 2016 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Go To SETTINGS-> General Settings-> Message Editor Interface. What is it set to?

Win 10 and Edge work OK.
    Set to Standard Editor. Changing to Basic has no effect - problem still exists for IE11.

Can confirm that it works OK with Edge/Windows 10. IE11 seems to be the problem.

Try setting compatibility mode for this site for IE 11 and see what happens. (sorry if we already suggested this).

As to anyone using IE 6 or XP, you are on your own. We won't be trying to get the site to support those, plus when we do the next upgrade, you are likely to see even more issues as the site goes a bit more 'responsive'....

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    Try setting compatibility mode for this site for IE 11 and see what happens. (sorry if we already suggested this).

As to anyone using IE 6 or XP, you are on your own. We won't be trying to get the site to support those, plus when we do the next upgrade, you are likely to see even more issues as the site goes a bit more 'responsive'....
    When are you bringing back VB6 support?

Try setting compatibility mode for this site for IE 11 and see what happens.
    I tried this for IE11 but AFAICT Compatibility Mode isn't selectable for Internet Explorer. In Windows 7 it's available but greyed out whereas in Windows 8.1 it isn't even available. I've a feeling Compatibility Mode only applies to older programs. However, I did discover something which might be significant...

Although the amount of text shown is always the same (for any given post) there seems to be no correlation between any post and any other given post. Post A might always allow (say) 40 text characters to be quoted whereas post B might always allow 70 characters - EXCEPT - where the post being quoted contains a hyphen (i.e. minus sign). In that case, the quoted text always seems to end, just before the minus sign. I can't help feeling that must be significant somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

(edit to add - minus sign -)

Win 10 and Edge work OK.
    Win 10 and IE11 - unable to recreate.

I've just tested it (compatibility mode for this site for IE 11 and Windows 7): the "Quick Reply" window stays empty and grayed out...
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I tried this for IE11 but AFAICT Compatibility Mode isn't selectable for Internet Explorer. In Windows 7 it's available but greyed out whereas in Windows 8.1 it isn't even available. I've a feeling Compatibility Mode only applies to older programs. However, I did discover something which might be significant...

Although the amount of text shown is always the same (for any given post) there seems to be no correlation between any post and any other given post. Post A might always allow (say) 40 text characters to be quoted whereas post B might always allow 70 characters
    This is what happens when replying with quote in IE11 on my system. It has terminated the quote at the -EXCEPT. I added the / quote.

Although the amount of text shown is always the same (for any given post) there seems to be no correlation between any post and any other given post. Post A might always allow (say) 40 text characters to be quoted whereas post B might always allow 70 characters - EXCEPT - where the post being quoted contains a hyphen (i.e. minus sign). In that case, the quoted text always seems to end, just before the minus sign. I can't help feeling that must be significant somehow...
    This is the same reply with quote using Firefox on my same system.

I tried this for IE11 but AFAICT Compatibility Mode isn't selectable for Internet Explorer. In Windows 7 it's available but greyed out
    John, you should try it from withim IE11: Settings -> Compatibility View Setting -> add codeguru.com to the list...

However it didn't help me... (see my previous post)
    Victor Nijegorodov

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast