CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

ATL ActiveX MSDN Tutorial Example: Why do I get IntelliSense Errors?

I used the MSDN ActiveX Template Library (ATL) Tutorial to build the "Polygon" ActiveX Control. I followed the instructions on the MSDN Tutorial, and everything went well until I added the "PolyCtl" control to the project. After adding the PolyCtl control, it generated PolyCtl.cpp and PolyCtl.h files and it gave 9 IntelliSense errors such as: (1) IntelliSense: identifier "_IPolyCtlEvents" is undefined, (2) IntelliSense: identifier "CLSID_PolyCtl" is undefined, (3) IntelliSense: identifier "IPolyCtl" is undefined, (4) IntelliSense: identifier "_IID_IPolyCtl" is undefined.... etc. I did not add any extra code. I just followed the MSDN tutorial instructions to create PolyCtl control. Why do I get the IntelliSense errors?
    I thought that I was doing something wrong. So, I downloaded the Sample Code for the "Polygon ATL ActiveX Control" example from MSDN website. When I open the project, that code also gives the same errors. Does anyone know what causes these errors and how to fix it? I cannot build the project because of these errors. Thanks.
    Gopal Bhat

Re: ATL ActiveX MSDN Tutorial Example: Why do I get IntelliSense Errors?

Intellisense may have been improved in recent versions of Visual Studio, but historically speaking it has been normal for it to fail, at least in more complex projects.

You eventually learn to live with it. More troublesome however is that it has been prone to slow down the entire IDE user interface. If it bothers you, turn it off...

The bottom line is that C++ is a very complex language and a perfectly working Intellisense is a dream that may never become reality.
    Nobody cares how it works as long as it works

Quote Originally Posted by zerver View Post
    Intellisense may have been improved in recent versions of Visual Studio, but historically speaking it has been normal for it to fail, at least in more complex projects.

You eventually learn to live with it. More troublesome however is that it has been prone to slow down the entire IDE user interface. If it bothers you, turn it off...

The bottom line is that C++ is a very complex language and a perfectly working Intellisense is a dream that may never become reality.
    Thanks for the advice. I am not worried about the IntelliSense errors. But, I cannot compile and build the project. It gives several errors including the errors displayed by IntelliSense. I thought that something is wrong with the way I created the ATL ActiveX Control. Then I downloaded the MSDN ATL ActiveX Control (Polygon) example project code. I got the same error with that code also.
    Last edited by VictorN; August 4th, 2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: removed the extra "*" symbols

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

So what compile errors do you get? Please, copy/paste error messages within the CODE tags.
    Victor Nijegorodov