CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Bool type problem

Oh wow! I had no idea!
    Oh yes - bitfields are real fun!

The interesting thing is that you re-arrange the bit fields in the struct then the size can be dramatically reduced. If the struct in post #15 is re-arranaged to be
    Code:
    struct S
    {
    	char a01 :1;
    	char a03 :1;
    	char a05 :1;
    	char a07 :1;
    	char a09 :1;
    	char a11 :1;
    	char a13 :1;
    	char a15 :1;
    	char a17 :1;
    	char a19 :1;
    	int  a02 :1;
    	int  a04 :1;
    	int  a06 :1;
    	int  a08 :1;
    	int  a10 :1;
    	int  a12 :1;
    	int  a14 :1;
    	int  a16 :1;
    	int  a18 :1;
    };
    ie all the char first then the int then the size comes down to 8 (VS2013)! A factor of 10 reduction.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    ...because on that particular compiler, an int is 128bytes (1024bits). yes, such beasts do exist.
    I've worked on a DSP platform where there was no such thing as an 8 bit type.
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong."
    Richard P. Feynman

This print 80. 80 bytes! For 20 bits!

I know for a fact nobody in my organization knows about this, and that we probably have very bloated structs in our code.

Nobody ever checks anything with static asserts...
    Heh, feel the headache yet ?

At the company we have a lot of code that does bit packing explicitely by doing the masking and shifting "the hard way".
    Pretty much every new recruit eventually comes with the urge to "oh wow you guys are retards for doing this, bitfields are so much easier".

I then give them "the bitfield challenge".
    You can only ever take this challenge once during your career at our company. (once you've taken it, you know the answers).
    Get it right, and you earn the right to use bit fields wherever you want.
    Get it wrong, and you receive the "I failed the bitfield challenge Cup", which you have to prominently display on your desk, until the next challenger fails and takes it from you.

the challenge is 10 "easy" questions about bit fields, you are required to get a perfect score.

The count is 129 challengers. All have failed. The last challenger is now the "proud" owner of the cup for 1 year and 76 days.

---
    Your bitfield is also seriously flawed.
    int a : 1;
    this has a guaranteed/portable range of 0 to 0.
    so it's essentially a totally pointless bitfield, or at the very least, it's only going to work on your specific compiler where it may non portably either hold -1 to 0 or 0 to 1.

still not feeling the headache ?
    Last edited by OReubens; September 24th, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW@Wessex View Post
    I've worked on a DSP platform where there was no such thing as an 8 bit type.
    oh yes, that's a mistake plenty people make when they do "portable" C/C++: Assuming that a "char" or 'byte' has 8 bits.
    the only guarantee you get from C++ is that it's AT LEAST 8 bits. It could be anything equal or lager than 8.
    regardless of how many bits it is, it's sizeof(char) is Always 1.

I've seen several platforms where it's 9, 10 and 12 bits, and even one where it's 64, and yes, that "other one" where a char is 1024 bits.

Always fun seeing people get total brain meltdown when they need to deal with a compiler where
    sizeof(char) = 1
    sizeof(short) = 1
    sizeof(int) = 1
    sizeof(long) = 1
    sizeof(float) = 1
    sizeof(double) = 1
    but where each of those is "128 bytes"
    it's particularly confusing because the platform does indeed know and handle bytes being 8 bits as a distinct type in the CPU.
    But any and all addressing can only be done using multiples of 128 bytes.
    for C++ to conform to the standard, this means the compiler needs to see those 128bytes as a single 'char', or 'byte' type.
    it also means the C++ compiler can at times be horribad for performance, because it can't make use of the smaller CPU types.

the challenge is 10 "easy" questions about bit fields
    Isn't that an oxymoron?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Well there's quotes around the easy for a reason.

the questions appear simple enough, and I usually get the answer sheet back within 15minutes. That alone already tells me they'll have failed. ;-)

You have picked my interest. I would like to take that test. Could you PM me a copy (I won't share with anyone)? If I fail, I'll wear the crown in my sig
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

well, considering #15
    you would already have failed it

Will try to do it later, don't have access to it from here.

well, considering #15
    you would already have failed it
    Well, I wasn't yet ready to take it back then, and made no assumptions that I'd nail the test.

I've since studied up on them, and would like to know what I *still* don't know
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Nope, it is in the spec, but you won't find it if you only look at the specific topic about bitfields because it's not in there.
    So where is it then? Show us!

I am going to accept that I might be incorrectly interpreting the part I'm alluding to, but if so, every single C and C++ compiler I've used to date (and that's a considerable amount) seem to be interpreting that part in exactly the same way.
    C++ is not defined by its compilers.

C++ is not defined by your personal experience or anyone else's.

C++ is defined by a standard.

Do you hear? By a standard! Get it!
    Last edited by razzle; September 26th, 2014 at 04:54 PM.

By a standard!
    Which says that in some cases behaviour is undefined so in those cases we have the behaviour of c++ as set by its compilers

I do have support in the standard. Feel free to find it. Or alternatively,
    show me the 32-bit or higher compiler where it's less than 8.
    g++

Results for the sizeof the struct in post # 1:

* Suse Linux / g++ 4.4.1 : 4
    * Suse Linux / g++ 4.6.1 : 4
    * MinGW with g++ 4.6.1 : 4
    * MinGW with g++ 4.8.1 (default compiler options) : 8 (-mms-bitfields is the default)
    * MinGW with g++ 4.8.1 (with -mno-ms-bitfields) : 4

Results for the sizeof the struct in post # 15:

* Suse Linux / g++ 4.4.1 : 4
    * Suse Linux / g++ 4.6.1 : 4
    * MinGW with g++ 4.6.1 : 4
    * MinGW with g++ 4.8.1 (default compiler options) : 80 (-mms-bitfields is the default)
    * MinGW with g++ 4.8.1 (with -mno-ms-bitfields) : 4 (-mms-bitfields is the default)

after 4.7, the default bit field packing is to use the one
    compatible with the Microsoft compiler (-mms-bitfields).

For a discussion see : https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/V...ttributes.html
    This link also gives a nice discussion on the rules the MS compiler uses.

Also, I don't see how g++ could be considered "incorrect"
    based on 1.7.4 and 9.6.1 in the standard. Maybe I am missing
    something. If so, could someone point to the section(s) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Nicoletti View Post
    Also, I don't see how g++ could be considered "incorrect"
    based on 1.7.4 and 9.6.1 in the standard. Maybe I am missing
    something. If so, could someone point to the section(s) ?
    Because it violates the rule that the unsigned int isn't following the alignment requirements for an unsigned int (?).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12