CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

copying file from one location to another location

Hi,

I need to copy a file from one location say c:\a\abc.txt to c:\b\abc.txt. I used the following below code

#include <stdio.h>
    #include<fstream>
    int main()
    {
    if ( rename("c:\a\abc.txt","c:\b\abc.txt")
    perror( NULL );
    system("pause");
    return 0;
    }

when i ran this code, the original file in the folder "a" gets deleted. I do not want the original file to be deleted. what should i modify in this code so the original file remains undeleted.
    and my next question is, i want to copy the original file 3 times and paste it in the new location 3 times, and each time while pasting i want the file name like this "abc1.txt", "abc2.txt", "abc3.txt"...and so on till i give a condition, so how to implement this?

Thanks
    Priya

Re: copying file from one location to another location

Solution 1 (requires boost): Use copy_file() from the filesystem library.

Solution 2 (requires Windows API):Use CopyFile().

Solution 3: Use the C (fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fclose()) or C++ (fstream:: open(), fstream::read(), fstream::write()) standard library to copy the contents of the input file to the output file. WARNING: This will not copy the file attributes or the alternate streams (for NTFS).

Re: copying file from one location to another location

Quote Originally Posted by priya_esu View Post
    Hi,

I need to copy a file from one location say c:\a\abc.txt to c:\b\abc.txt. I used the following below code

#include <stdio.h>
    #include<fstream>
    int main()
    {
    if ( rename("c:\a\abc.txt","c:\b\abc.txt")
    perror( NULL );
    system("pause");
    return 0;
    }

when i ran this code, the original file in the folder "a" gets deleted. I do not want the original file to be deleted. what should i modify in this code so the original file remains undeleted.
    and my next question is, i want to copy the original file 3 times and paste it in the new location 3 times, and each time while pasting i want the file name like this "abc1.txt", "abc2.txt", "abc3.txt"...and so on till i give a condition, so how to implement this?

Thanks
    Priya
    Look at ::SHFileOperation().

Cheers
    If a post helped you dont forget to "Rate This Post"

My Article: Capturing Windows Regardless of Their Z-Order

Cheers