CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Anyone upgraded to Windows 10 yet ??

For the past few weeks, every time I booted up I've been seeing a 'Windows' icon in my task bar and a message asking if I want to upgrade to Windows 10. I haven't heard anything bad about it so a couple of days ago I clicked the icon. I was surprised to find that it didn't upgrade me - instead, it simply added me to a queue and told me I'll get notified by email when my upgrade is ready. Apparently, this can take a few days - or even a few weeks.

Next Monday is a public holiday here in the UK. So this (three day) weekend would have been a great time for me to upgrade. I then came across this web site which gives details about why I'm being held in the queue. It seems as if (over some unspecified period) Windows 10 will get downloaded to my PC in the background.

But at the bottom of that page, there's a link saying Buy Now (Upgrade for free). Has anyone tried it? Or is there any other way to "upgrade now" (without having to possibly wait for several weeks) ?
    Last edited by John E; August 29th, 2015 at 06:17 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Anyone upgraded to Windows 10 yet ??

If you want to upgrade now, follow this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

This will either allow you to upgrade the computer from which it is run or to download a .iso image that can be used to burn a DVD that can be used to upgrade multiple computers without having to download for each one. I've done several using the DVD with no bother and no product key asked.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks 2kaud. I tried that link and it seemed to install quite smoothly. The only issue I've noticed so far is that I can't for the life of me find Add/Remove Programs any more (or even Control Panel, for that matter!!)

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

To get the control panel, in the 'Search Web and Windows' area, just type control. You'll see Control Panel as one of the found options. Same for add/remove programs. This is now Apps and Features in Settings/System.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Check out the WinKey + X keyboard combo.

Thanks guys. As an aside, do either of you know if it's possible to enable Aero Glass in Windows 10? According to an article I read, the beta version offered a registry key to enable it - but if you read the later comments from that article, it seems like it got removed from the final release version (and it certainly doesn't work in my copy). I'm not even sure if I can change theme colours any more (e.g. window border colours).

For my tastes, Aero Glass was one of the most impressive enhancements in Vista and Windows 7. It's such a disappointment that Microsoft can't seem to make it work any more...

[Edit...] P.S. Many thanks Steve for that tip about WinKey + X. It brings up menu with loads of rarely used (but interesting) stuff!
    Last edited by John E; August 31st, 2015 at 03:18 AM.

Didn't upgrade yet. I am still on my Windows 7. Love it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Check out the WinKey + X keyboard combo.
    Just know a little bit about Windows 10. But i'll try to that. Thanks!